Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Doll (head) number two, since it is July 2nd

Doll head number two
Here's doll head number two. She is based on a photo of my daughter, aged two at the time. When she was little she had red hair, which has now changed to a dark blond. It was never this red but this face does capture something of the impishness and determination in her spirit, even (especially?) at that age.

Self portrait number two

These portraits are quick sketches. This one captures a pensive mood. I had to draw it in the basement where I have a mirror that I can set up. The basement is out last frontier after this move, which tomorrow will be exactly a year ago. The basement is stacked with boxes, blankets, assorted items that belie description. We are determined to get to it this summer!

This has been an interesting process so far. It is interesting to see how the doll heads have a life of their own. I need to learn to just go with it. Sometimes frustrating, always intriguing. 

I wanted also to mention that Barb Kobe is my doll making mentor. She has a website that shows her wonderful medicine dolls. I am in the process of completing the last of the four dolls in the medicine doll series: guardian, scapegoat, talisman and healer. I will share that last doll when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment