Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 16

100 year old woman photographed again in front of my art calendar

Day 16, so now officially halfway there! This doll head was inspired by a photograph of an 100 year old woman. Or at least that is what the photo said, she definitely didn't look that old. As I grow older, I look to older woman for a model of how to age gracefully. I appreciate and admire the wisdom and ease of older women. 

Me: Welcome. Please tell us your name and why you are here. Or what you would like to tell us. 

Doll: Ooh, thank you. My name is Gertrude and I am here, well because you brought me here but I suppose also to tell you that the view from here is fine. 

Me: What do you mean by that, Gertrude?

Gertrude: I mean that aging is nothing to fear. I have lived my life fully and I am grateful for everything, the challenges and the joys. I wouldn't trade it for anything. But now that I have reached this age, I don't feel a need to hold on. My life is part of a cycle, of something larger and when it is my time to pass, I will be able to do so without any regrets.

Me: Thank you. That means a lot to me to hear this. I am so glad you are here.

Gertrude: Me too. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment