Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 10, said I would get to it and I did!

Old bearded guy. Just learned his name is Ernst Goodwin.

Funny, I watched the movie Instinct, with my husband again last night and this guy looks like the main character in the movie, played by Anthony Hopkins. He is a primatologist and anthropology professor who studies gorillas in Africa, is lost in the jungle and is found after having killed some of the Africans who found him... Anyway, it's too complicated to describe but a great movie that addresses important questions about the ways we get stuck in our self made prisons and sometimes need reminders from nature to break free (didn't get a good reception when it came out but Martha Beck brought it to my attention so I watched it. Watch it and see what you think) My point was that it was a coincidence that this guy today looked like him. 

I realized yesterday that I need to talk to my doll heads and get an idea of what their take on life is, so here goes...

Interview with doll head Day 10. 

Me: First off, can you tell me your name?

Doll head: (clears throat.) Hmmm. (deep voice) Never used this throat before. You have to excuse me. (He has an accent. Is it British? eastern European? Not sure.)

Me: That's OK. Take your time.

Doll Head: You ask me my name. My name is Ernst. Ernst Goodwin.

Me: Why are you here?

Ernst: You brought me here, didn't you? You should answer that question.

Me: Oh, yes, that's right. I brought you here as part of a series that is going to be made into dolls representing the truth that we are all basically guided by our own innate intelligence, higher power or whatever you want to call it. And our normal state of being is to feel joy, to feel a sense of wellness.

Ernst: There you go. You didn't need to ask me after all. But I have a question for you.

Me: Go ahead.

Ernst: When do I get a body?

Me: Good question. I appreciate your asking it. My plan is to make a doll head a day every day this month. You are number 10, so 21 more. Then I will make bodies for at least 10 of you.

Ernst: What! Not all of us.

Me: Well, let's see. This is sort of an experiment on my part. Maybe I will make bodies for all of you. But I don't want to promise something I can't follow through on. Can you live with that? Whatever happens, you will get used some way. You weren't made in vain.

Ernst: Sure, that's OK.

Me: Maybe we'll talk again. Thank you for talking to me.

Ernst: No problem.

And now the self portrait for day 10:

Me on the left. I added a drawing of Lisa Randall,  theoretical physicist (bottom right) and a conservative talk show host (top right, forgot her name but she was in the NYTimes yesterday) Prismacolor Ebony pencil and Crayola pencil (! didn't notice that that is what it was until just now!)
I had an idea to put myself in an image with other middle aged women. (Ernst got in there somehow too!) I was exploring other middle aged women's faces on Pintarest. It was a lot of fun. Mid-life is a time of exploration, self and otherwise. Interesting to see what makes a face unique, and also to explore emotions.

Let's see what comes up today, Day 11....




No comments:

Post a Comment