Saturday, September 14, 2013

Report on Doll making progress over the past month or so....

Haven't yet made the bodies for the mini dolls because another project intervened. Here are the dolls I made and a report about them.

These are all scultural needle felted dolls. The Rheas are about six inches high and the Creative wild doll is nine inches high.


Mini Rheas I and II with their shed or morphed skin of old unwanted habits and behaviors


Another view of the mini Rheas at the kitchen table

Mini Rheas with Mama Rhea, my Talisman doll



So happy I can now report that my first doll commission has made it over the Atlantic and to England! My wonderful client, starting a new business, asked for a mini version of the Talisman doll I had named Rhea. She said: "she seems to be shedding the skin of an outworn life, an ourworn phase in her life that is ending gradually, dying gradually. Like moulting, like transmuting. 
As she sheds this skin, a new self emerges, naked and uncertain."

So incredible how the Rhea doll, which had symbolized opening to joy and transformation for me, also spoke so strongly to someone else. She chose the Rhea doll on the left. What happened was that after I made the first mini Rhea, I decided to make another one, Rhea II so that she could choose. 

And over the last week or so, as the doll was making her way over the Atlantic to her new owner, I started to make a new doll, just in case something happened to her en route. Well, yesterday I heard that she made it. Yaaah. And so I changed what might have been Rhea III into a new doll, not yet complete but this time symbolizing the joy and bliss of creative abandon. 

Here she is, not yet complete, as I say but ready to say hello.

Creative Wild doll

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Erika. I love seeing the mini Rheas with Mother Rhea. They look so knowing and full of life now they've shed their skins.It's actually more powerful seeing them in double. And your Creative Wild doll is most expressive. She looks ready to go wild!
    Well done!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete